Indulge in a swift weeknight delight with French onion pasta—a fusion of caramelized onions, butter, cheese, and savory goodness. Cleanup is a breeze!
If you’re a pasta enthusiast seeking weeknight simplicity, this French onion pasta recipe is your answer. In under an hour, you can relish a plate of creamy, rich, and savory delight reminiscent of the classic French onion soup. The best part? It’s a one-pot wonder, ensuring both convenience and flavor.
French onion pasta is a viral sensation on TikTok, featuring a luscious sauce made from caramelized onions, butter, cheese, broth, and seasonings. The dish comes together swiftly, with options for traditional preparation or a time-saving one-pot method. The latter involves cooking the pasta and sauce together, eliminating the need for boiling water separately or draining noodles.
For maximum flavor, here are three tips to elevate your French onion pasta experience:
- Perfectly Caramelized Onions: Take the time to caramelize onions until they’re soft and jammy. Quick caramelization techniques can cut the time in half, achieving sweetness and tenderness.
- Choose the Right Pasta Shape: Opt for short pasta varieties with ridges or holes, like penne, cavatappi, or radiatore. These shapes enhance the flavor by holding the velvety sauce effectively.
- Quality Broth: Use a good-quality beef, chicken, or vegetable broth to elevate the savory flavors of the sauce. Consider options like Pacific Foods’ Organic Free Range Chicken Broth.
Caramelized Onion Pasta Recipe:
- Cook sliced onions with butter and olive oil until jammy.
- Simultaneously, cook pasta until al dente; reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- Add broth, cream, and thyme to onions, cooking until slightly thickened.
- Toss drained pasta in the onion sauce, adding pasta water for creaminess.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheese until melted, and garnish with extra cheese and thyme. Serve promptly.
One-Pot French Onion Pasta Recipe:
- Cook sliced onions, then add pasta, broth, cream, and thyme in one pot.
- Simmer until the pasta is tender and coated in the onion sauce.
- Stir in cheese until melted, adjusting seasoning if needed. Serve with extra cheese and thyme.
For a delightful weeknight meal, embrace the simplicity and bold flavors of French onion pasta—quick, comforting, and irresistibly delicious!
Re-reported from the article originally published in The firstforwomen