It’s that time of the year when we celebrate and create memories with our loved ones.
Let’s begin this new year with something sweet.
This is one of my all-time favorite cakes, and very simple to make.
The recipe for the sponge cake is from my patisserie chef who makes the yummiest desserts.
I have tried different sponge cake recipes but this is the one that has won my heart and taste buds too! It is moist and fluffy and hits bang on the sweet spot.
You can use the same base and create different cakes with added ingredients.
Here’s the recipe
- Sponge Cake
- 2 eggs
- 110 gm sugar
- 110 gm butter
- 110 gm self-raising flour
- Pinch of baking soda
- 250 gm thickened cream
- 100 gm icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Some strawberries
- Some flaked almonds
- Beat sugar and butter together until it becomes creamy
- Add one egg at a time and beat it to a smooth consistency
- Add flour and baking soda together and mix it well
- Combine the flour mixture with the wet ingredients mixed.
- Heat the oven to 150 degrees in fan-forced mode
- Line a 6-inch cake tin and Pour the mixture
- Bake it for about 30 mins and remove it from the oven and allow it to cool
- For icing combine all the icing ingredients except for almonds and strawberries
- Beat until soft peaks are formed and pipe it on a cooled cake
- Top it up with strawberries and almond flakes and enjoy.
Sudha Suresh is a healthy meal enthusiast, living in Melbourne, who loves to recreate recipes straight from her grandma’s kitchen