The new year is around and most of us will start thinking of jotting down our new year resolutions.
The most common resolutions that people make are – shed extra weight, start a fitness regime, or plan a better lifestyle. But do we achieve it? For some, it may be a ‘yes’ but for quite a few of us it is a ‘no’. The reasons can be many. However, we need to take cognizance of the fact that health lost once, is lost forever. Kudos to you if you have already, made the start. If you haven’t, well there is no better time than ‘now’.
In my previous articles, I have focused on the importance of nutrition – especially for women in their 30’s and 40’s. A big thank you to all my readers. I was also approached by quite a few of them wanted to discuss their health and lifestyle issues. Hope you all are doing great and living a healthier and more fulfilling life!
Keeping in mind the broad interests and requirements of our readers, the following are few tips towards achieving these nutrition and fitness goals:
1) Patience! – Take a deep breath and remind yourself that being healthy is a continuous journey and will require some time, a little patience, and lots of motivation.
2) Set a realistic goal – Your friend may have lost a few pounds in just a couple of months but you may take a little longer as your body is different from hers. So always set realistic goals over a medium-term horizon like 6 months,3 months. Then break it down to monthly/weekly goals. Do not focus on the weighing scale alone. Instead, focus on your overall health. Look at the mirror and ask yourself – “how do I want to be in June 2021?” A specific, realistic answer may be: “in the next 6 months I want to see my diabetes in control with good gain in muscle weight and reduction in few kilos of body fat”. Next, monitor your sugar levels and weight regularly and get a customized nutrition and exercise plan for yourself.
3) Review your results and efforts – What gets measured gets done. Generally, people give up on their commitments saying I tried but it did not happen. Analyse is it true? Efforts were done to achieve anything never go in vain. Just ensure your efforts are as per your health requirements. Be consistent in following your plan and measure the results periodically. Make a daily routine and stick to it.
4) Create Positive Circles – Spread the good cheer! Associate yourself with like-minded people who will encourage you and will push you to achieve your wellness goals. It can be a set of people or an individual like your friend, neighbour, co-worker, or even a social friend who is aligned to a goal just like you.
5) Reward yourself – we as humans always love to be rewardedfor everything we do and achieve. But as adults, we expect to be awarded by others and generally, it does not happen. Remember your health is your journey, so reward yourself. For example: if you have achieved a particular number on the scale that you were targeting for, visit a restaurant of your choice and eat what you like or gift yourself a new wardrobe that will add to your confidence, or go for a new makeover to boost your personality or do anything that motivates you to do more.
6) Be persistent and consistent – It’s your body wherein your beautiful soul has to reside. So, take care of your body. Stay happy and put all small efforts to keep yourself healthy. Be it a daily exercise schedule, yoga classes, following a nutrition plan, joining a laughter club, or going for a walk with your friend.
Put your heart, mind, and soul into everything you do for your health. That is how you will love yourself enough to live a healthy and fulfilling life.
Wishing you and your loved ones a healthy and enriching 2021.
To join our free fitness groups feel free to reach out to us on: